Sunday, April 01, 2012

Fence Reflections

                                                Fence Reflections 24x36
                                oil on gallery wrapped canvas


I've been watching the shadows the bare trees have made on my fence at night, all Winter long. The shadows of the limbs were so graceful and the trunks seemed to flow across the boards into the ground. I knew I would paint them and I knew it would have to be an abstract.

As I started the work, in many layers, I reflected upon the dance that my palette knife and oil colors create as they hop and flow across the canvas. Some days, it was all about yellow. Other days, I found that I needed greens and peaches. And then take that palette knife and cut through it all to the red and blue ground. The white, like a breeze moving the branches in unison, is the unifying effect in the end.
 

No comments: