Thursday, October 25, 2007

I Think I've Figured It Out

It came to me clearly this morning that the subject matter I am most drawn to is that which seems to relate to American life. Marching Band, people with pets, kids on the beach, soccer players are some of the subjects that I've had the most fun with. I do love me a landscape, too. I feel a lot of peace when painting Nature, but feel most in tune with LIFE when I'm painting people. That is why I think the Austin Figurative Project is going to be a very good thing for me. I will paint study after study and get really comfortable with the human form. Then, I can paint what I feel about the people I observe. I'll be able to put their personalities on the canvas and that will make me supremely happy. All my painting sessions lately seem to be bent on maintaining a festive atmosphere, so it looks like I had better practice being more lighthearted about painting in the company of other people. I have never thought of myself as a serious person, but I sure come off that way when I am painting. I am amused that that is the impression I make. What they don't know is that I will usually sing and dance to whatever music is playing and that is why I don't drink and paint. Gotta keep that foolishness under wraps for now.

No comments: