Thursday, November 18, 2010

Maverick (work in progress)

He's coming along. I think I have the likeness better and his posture is more of a dog barely holding still before he jumps. I put in the orange background with the plan of doing the green grass over it (complimentary colors, sort of). The greens of the grass are pretty blue, so this should work nicely. Or I go another direction altogether and make the background purple and abstract. I initially didn't want to take this commission because, as with human portraits, you can get a likeness but people will always find fault with what isn't perfect (me being one of those people when it's my own work). I figured it would be a torturous experience, but decided that I had to be brave and go for it. They say (I don't know who this "they" is, and would like to wring they neck sometimes) that whatever you're afraid of, whatever is your weakness, is what you should work hard to overcome. So, that's what I'm doing. By the way, I am in love with this dog's face.

No comments: